Tuesday, April 11, 2006

movie review

Stars: Charlize Theron, Frances McDormand, Sissy Spacek, Woody Harrelson and Sean Bean
Director: Niki Caro

What Josey Aimes wants is a decent job so she can put food on the table and take care of her kids. What she gets is threatened, insulted, ogled, fondled, belittled, attacked and called filthy names. "Take it like a man" her callous male boss says. Instead, she takes it like a human being - and fights back.
Charlize Theron portrays Josey in North Country, the searing story of women who broke the gender barrier laboring in hazardous Minnesota iron mines... and broke legal ground with the nation's first class-action sexual-harassment lawsuit. Frances McDormand, Sissy Spacek, Woody Harrelson and Sean Bean star with Theron in this emotionally explosive tale of taking on the odds to achieve what everyone thought wouldnt happen.

I have to say. Charlize has impressed me yet again. It's no secret that I'm a fan of her's. North Country is a movie inspired by a true story of Lois Jenson and a number of females who took on Taconite Mines of Northern Minnesota after the constant sexual harrassment from a limited number of their male co-workers. This story just grabbed me in after the first 10 minutes. I had to stop everything I was doing just incase I missed anything. Charlize plays the part of Josey Aimes really well, and I have to say, the other actors did a bloody great job in it too.
It jumps back and forth from the courtroom scenes to tell you what had been happening to lead the story there. In some movies, this can be quite annoying but there's a very limited amount of these jumps forward, so you never get lost while watching it. At one point, I even had tears in my eyes and that doesnt happen often while watching movies. I would give this a rating of 8/10. I'll be buying this when I can.

No comments: