Thursday, May 17, 2007

PCOS - Update

New update with my PCOS - I started taking a pill called Metformin.

Metformin is a type of drug known as an 'insulin-sensitising agent', which lowers the blood sugar level, in turn reducing the excessively high insulin. There are actually very few studies that have been carried out and published concerning the use of insulin sensitising drugs as a treatment for PCOS. These suggest that it may well be useful in several areas: helping weight reduction, improving irregular periods (70%), normalising blood cholesterol and leading to ovulation.

I have to take one pill for the first week. On Friday I have to start taking 2 pills and then the Friday after that I have to take 3 pills. Each pill is 500g. So in total I'll be taking 1500g of Metformin daily.

The first day I took the pill I got the attack of the shakes and it was really bad. I went shopping and that's when I noticed the shaking. I also thought I was going to be sick right in the middle of ASDA. The next couple of days were ok but on Monday things were different. I spent most of the day on the toilet and I've felt like crap ever since.
The most common side effects during treatment are diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal bloating.

I have two of those so far. I've been told these side effects will last between 1 to 4 weeks and I should start seeing results in about 3 to 4 months. It's only the first week and I'm starting to lose hope already. Oh and it's made my bleeding really heavy. More heavy than before. I have to see my doctor again in 3 weeks time to see how things are getting on. I'm also really hungry!! I've not been eating much because I dont like the side effects. Which isnt smart on my part, I know. I'll keep you updated.

I'd like again to encourage women who think they have any symptoms of PCOS as stated in this post to go see a doctor so you can start treatment. Please dont suffer in silence!

I'm also going to tell you about a blog called Soul Cysters. Started by a woman who's 16 year old Daughter has PCOS. The woman very kindly left me a comment and I've decided to link her blog here for others to read. The URL is here and also listed under Blogs We Read section down the side. Take the time to read her blog if you have any concerns about PCOS or you have PCOS. Thanks!

1 comment:

_-Sweet-Thing-_ said...

well I thought I'd let you know I went for a blood test Monday and now I go back to the doctor's on Friday! It's kinda of Scarey but if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have got up the courage to go, so thank you HoNee!